We often take it for granted that the people who design, manufacture, and market the items we use every day—from kid’s toys to car tires and from appliances to pharmaceuticals—put our safety at the top of the list. What happens, then, when we are injured when using these products in a proper manner and by their own instructions? How often are people harmed by products they thought they could trust?
Here are some statistics: According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there were 835 deaths in a ten-year period due to carbon monoxide poisoning caused by consumer products, such as generators. Recently, a popular pressure cooker has been at the center of a lawsuit due to injuries caused by explosions and electrical burns. In fact, the CPSC issues hundreds of recalls for unsafe products annually.
If you or a family member have been injured by a faulty or defective product, the skilled attorneys at éclat Law in Altamonte Springs will aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve for the harm you suffered. You can count on us for communication, compassion, and most of all, the best possible results.
PRODUCT LIABILITY IS ABOUT HOLDING COMPANIES ACCOUNTABLE FOR INJURIES CAUSED BY THEIR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS
Those who manufacture, design, market and distribute a product have a responsibility to ensure its safety and to clearly communicate directions on its safe and proper use, including adequate warnings of potential dangers. When any of these defects cause an injury or fatality, you can claim damages (file a lawsuit) for the harm caused to you or a family member.
CASES WE HANDLE AND HOW WE CAN HELP YOU GET THE COMPENSATION YOU DESERVE
Because Florida is a comparative fault state, we vigorously investigate and aggressively pursue all avenues of liability against the product manufacturer, designer or marketer to get you the best possible outcome: full and fair compensation for your injuries. This is important because comparative fault means that if you were even partially at fault for the accident, your compensation is reduced proportionately to the percentage of your fault. The lawyers for the other side will try to put as much of the blame on you, the injured party, as possible. Our trial-tested attorneys fight for your rights across a range of defective product claims, including:
- Manufacturing Flaws: A manufacturing defect happens when a product was designed properly, but something happened in the manufacturing process that made the product unsafe
- Inadequate Safety Protections: Typically, this means that there were inadequate warnings or incomplete instructions regarding the proper use of a product, its potential dangers, or special precautions.
- Irresponsible or Negligent Marketing Tactics: Similar to inadequate safety protections, but may also include marketing a product outside of its intended use.
- Design Defects: A design defect is one in which a product is dangerous when it fails to perform safely when used by the consumer in an intended or reasonable manner.
- Construction Defects: These can be especially complicated, as the liability may involve multiple entities. Defects may be the result of deviation from plans and specifications, faulty materials, building code violations or a structure or system that doesn’t work as intended.
In most cases, the statute of limitations in Florida for filing a product liability case is four years, but it may depend on a number of factors. It’s in your best interest to talk to an éclat Law attorney as soon as possible.
HOW COMPENSATION WORKS
Compensation, also referred to as “damages,” is money paid to you for compensate for the harm you or your loved one suffered. Economic damages include:
- Medical Costs: Bills from doctors, hospitals, medications, and therapy, as well as associated expenses
- Lost Wages: Loss of income caused by time off from work due to your injury or loss of revenue and profits. In the case of permanent injury, loss of earning capacity.
- Property Damage: Cost of replacement or repair to property damage caused by a defective product.
Non-economic damages may also be claimed. This is compensation awarded for non-tangible damages, including:
- Physical and/or Emotional Pain and Suffering
- Permanent Disfigurement
- Loss of Consortium
- Emotional Distress
Our goal is to make sure that you are fully compensated for all damages.
CONTACT OUR FLORIDA PRODUCT LIABILITY ATTORNEYS TO DISCUSS YOUR NEEDS
To find out more about how we can protect your rights and fight to get you full and fair compensation for your injuries, please call us at 407-636-7004 or contact us online to set up a free and confidential consultation. We have helped clients throughout Central Florida get justice for the harm done by defective and dangerous products.